WITS at a Glance - July 2018
WITS Vision: A society where women have equal opportunities, experiences & recognition in STEM.
Our Values: Fair play, Evidence-informed, Generosity, Progress-driven
Our Mission: A voluntary, independent organisation advocating, connecting and acting for women to benefit society as full and vital participants in STEM
Our Goal: To grow our profile and membership and collaborate with like-minded organisations to progress our mission of advocating, acting and connecting to have women as full participants in STEM
WITS 2017 summary
- Membership was ~ 500 members…
- An attendance of 403 at 16 WITS events
- 20% more social media followers/members.
President Michael D Higgins
WITS – some key features
Founded 1990 by Mary Mulvihill science journalist (1959-2015). Members are from:
- all ages STEM students to retirees.
- all areas of STEM.
- across sectors – public and private
We aim to recruit, retain, return, revere and remember women in STEM.
WITS Honorary members
- 2017 Professor Jane Grimson Fellow Emeritus & Professor of Health Informatics, TCD.
- 2014 Professor Dervilla Donnelly Emeritus Professor of Phytochemistry at UCD.
- 2000 Ms Kitty Kelly founder member, retired science teacher.
WITS Corporate Members
- Silicon Republic
- Science Gallery Dublin
- Growth Potential
- Janssen Biologics
What we do
- Run events for members – talks, workshops.
- Develop and respond to STEM and gender policy at local and national level e.g. WITS Action Manifesto.
- Circulate our regular newsletter WITSWORDS.
- Celebrate women in STEM e.g. plaques for women scientists and publications.
- Hold annual Mary Mulvihill Lecture from 2015.
- WITS is a member of The National Women’s Council of Ireland and The Wheel.
Mary Mulvihill, Dr Ena Prosser, Sadhbh McCarthy, Dr Marion Palmer, Mary Carroll.
Things we have done
- 2015 Mary Mulvihill Lecture held annually
- 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award to Professor Dervilla Donnelly UCD
- 2007-2009 Re-Enter return to work scheme for women returning to STEM
- 2003 Getting the Balance Right/li>
- 1995-2000 NOW New Opportunities for Women project.
- 1997 Diversity Conference, Dublin Castle
- 1993, 2002 Role Models for Schools.
- Lab Coats & Lace (2009)
- Talent Bank for Women on Boards (2004)
- Stars, Shells & Bluebells (1997)
- Suitable Jobs for a Woman (1993)
Download this as a pdf document: WITS at a Glance June 2018