Citizen Science 2023
- 28 January 2023
Citizen science is data collection by members of the public to help answer research questions according to the National Biodiversity Data Centre. Women in STEM can contribute to Citizen Science.
Here are some examples of Citizen Science:
- Citizen Science Ireland is an initiative to harness the knowledge gained by practitioners and researchers and involve citizens across the different STEM disciplines in Ireland. It has a number of projects that might be of interest.
- WOW-IE is the Weather Observations Website of Met Éireann and is part of the global WOW network of crowdsourced weather observations.
- Coastwatch Europe runs an annual Coastwatch Survey designed to give an overview of the state of the coast.
- The Irish Wildlife Trust supports citizen science with its People for Bees project.
- If you are interested in birds, then please count your garden birds for the Irish Garden Bird Survey run by BirdWatch Ireland.
- If you're planting trees, think of our pollinators and have a look at Planting Trees for Pollinators from the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan.
The eu-citizen.science website is a platform for sharing citizen science projects, resources, tools, training and much more. Click here for Irish citizen science projects such as the Dragonfly Ireland 2019-2024 project