International Day of Women in Engineering (INWED2019) Cork 25 June 2019
- 2 July 2019
On the afternoon of the Tuesday 25th of June, WITS in partnership with Engineers Ireland, Johnson and Johnson and Workhuman hosted a celebration of the International Day of Women in Engineering 2019.
International Women in Engineering Day is proud to be under the patronage of UNESCO for yet another year. INWED is an international awareness campaign to raise the profile of women in engineering and focuses attention on the amazing career opportunities available to girls in this exciting industry. It is an opportunity to celebrate the outstanding achievements of women engineers throughout the world. The theme for 2019 is #TransformTheFuture.
The talks covered, from the introduction to WITS to the real stories of those who have resumed their careers and tackled the leaky pipeline in STEM. Two of the corporate members of WITS, presented their programmes to offer opportunities to women to return to the workplacement with the Re-Ignite Programme and Reboot. Interesting facts for training and professional development were shared by WITS and Engineers Ireland.
In the above photograph are from left to right Magaly Mora WITS Cork, Dr Marie Barrett WITS Treasurer, Claire Drummond (J&J) , Valerie Fenton (Cork Branch Engineers Ireland), Marguerite O’Sullivan (J&J), Erin Thompson (Workhuman) and Sabena Hiney (Workhuman).
- WITS Introduction – Magaly V. Mora | WITS Cork
- Cork Chapter Contacts and Network – Valerie Fenton| Cork Branch | Engineers Ireland
- Quick talk about Leaky Pipeline in STEM – Erin Thompson | Delivery Lead | Workhuman
- Introduction to Reboot Programme Sabena Hiney | Scrum Master | Workhuman
- Introduction to WISTEM2D Programme – Marguerite O’Sullivan | J&J Staff Member
- ReIgnite Programme Talk about vacancies available – Claire Drummond | J&J Re Ignite associates | Johnson & Johnson
- Closure of the event – Marie Barrett | WITS Treasurer
At the end the attendees had time to network and discuss potential future collaborations with the partners and the opportunities available in the programmes. Both companies brought HR and Talent acquisition professionals to chat with people looking for an opportunity for a career in STEM.
WITS thanks our partners in the event and all who attended.