International Women's Day 2022
- 12 March 2022
International Women's Day 2022 #BreakTheBias
International Women's Day was Tuesday 8 March 2022. The theme is #BreakTheBias. WITS celebrated IWD2022 with WITS Reads and a great discussion of Built by Roma Agrawal. Here are some of the celebrations online:
- Role Models in pSTEM: You can be what you can see. For IWD three more short videos were released focising on UCD alumna: Sandra Collins, Cathy Fleming and Lána Salmon. Watch the videos here and find out more about the project here. The project formally launches later in the year.
- 100 Women of 2022, a celebration of Irish women including Dr Aoibhinn ni Shuilleabhain for STEM. From The Irish Examiner and Clodagh Finn.
- Break The Bias: Female leaders reveal what it’s like working in digital today. From Creative Boom.
- Women of technological higher education (THEA) on Twitter. WITS member Dr Sheila Donegan recipient of the highest EU STEM award, the EU Descartes award for Science Communication and Director of Calmast at Waterford Institute of Technology. Anne Marie Courtney Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at Munster Technological University. Keara Barret led the Athena Swan application for ITCarlow Computing Department, which is now implementing a 4-year gender equality action plan.
- Generation Apprenticeship celebrated our women apprentices. Joanne McGuigan is a female sheetmetal worker. Learn why she is a role model for women apprentices everywhere. Alva Kissane talks about her love of aircraft from a young age and how she became an aircraft mechanic. Great to see women like Alva and Joanne continuing to break down barriers.
- International Women’s Day – Motherhood: Is it an obstacle or a motivation in a Woman’s career? From CONFIRM Centre. A good read.
- @PayGapApp. A UK inititiative for #iwd2022. Virtue-signalling tweets by organisations are quickly removed when @PayGapApp points out the gender gap in what they pay their staff. Would love to see an Irish version. Data shining a light on posturing. From Dr Eemer Eivers via Twitter.
- Royal Institution London. 10 mind-blowing science talks by female speakers. Great to see Dr Aoife McLysaght of TCD in the list.
Finally great to see the Recommendations on Gender Balance in STEM Education launched by MInister Foley on IWD 8 March 2022. More here.
Some IWD 2022 events:
- Wednesday 9 March @ 11 am Ludgate Hub Skibbereen online IWD event. Read about the events and register here.
- Thursday 3 March @ 11 am. The Digital Hub will hold an online panel discussion with women speakers who work in the area of STEM and STEM education. Speakers include WITS member Vicky Twomey- Lee and Dr Katriona O'Sullivan. Read about the event here and register now.