International Women's Day 8 March 2019
- 16 February 2019
International Women's Day is on Friday 8 March 2019. The theme is #BalanceforBetter
Celebrate women's achievements on or around Friday March 8, while calling for a more gender-balanced world. WITS encourages you to get together with your STEM colleagues for a chat and a coffee, you can download this poster to set it up. Use hashtag #WITSIWD2019, get together with other #WomeninSTEM and connect with us here! Send us any pictures you have of your events, we’d love to post them.
- IT Sligo Women in Engineering Coffee Morning: Addressing the Unconscious Bias 8 March 2019
- Women in 3D Printing - Dublin Chapter – first meetup! 8 March 2019
- Intel International Women's Day Celebration 8 March 2019
- Women on Air International Women's Day Event 6 March 2019
- UCD BioSoc Women in Biology Symposium 8 March 2019
Engineering careers are exciting, challenging and well paid, yet only 16% of engineering graduates in Ireland are women.
As a nation, we need more female engineers to overcome this gender disparity. Missing out on this talent pool is a major problem to be addressed.
Please join us on International Women's Day for some exciting talks and a panel discussion. We will be looking at "what are the barriers for women in entering the engineering profession and how we can address them". Coffee and tea will be served. All genders welcome!
Time: 8th March from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Venue: Institute Board Room, IT Sligo
Please book your tickets here.
Join the Dublin chapter of Women in 3D Printing for our inaugural meetup on Friday March 8th, to celebrate International Women's Day and Engineers Week. Join local ambassador Sylvia Leatham for the first meetup of the Dublin chapter of the global network, Women in 3D Printing.
Meet like-minded people, make new contacts, and discuss what you’d like from a regular meetup over lunch*. This is a casual meetup series where 3D printing enthusiasts can meet, network, and learn from each other. All are welcome. Please register your interest below, events are free to attend but registration is required.
Time: 8th March from 1.15 p.m. to 2.15 p.m. Venue: Ely Bar & Grill, IFSC, Dublin 1.
Please register your interest here.
Celebrate International Women;s Day with Intel at a networking event with guests Joanne Cantwell, Sean Moncrieff and Fiona Coghlan. All welcome.
Time: 8th March from 9 a..m. to 12.15 p.m. Venue: Intel Ireland, Leixlip Kildare.
Please register your interest here.
On the 6th of March 2019, Women on Air will host a special Women On Air evening around the theme of Women in the Media and Politics, alongside the International Women's Day 2019 campaign theme: #BalanceforBetter.
Time: 6th March from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Venue: Radisson BLU Royal Hotel, Golden Lane, Dublin 8.
Tickets cost €8 here.
The Biological Society (BioSoc) of UCD is hosting a Women in Biology event on Friday 8 March 2019. The symposium aims to celebrate the contributions made by female researchers throughout Science, in particular, biology on International Women’s Day. The speakers will speak about their phenomenal work and the accomplishments they have made during their career, as well as discuss how they feel gender diversity within the scientific community is changing. Some of the key influential Irish researchers who are going to be present for our panel discussion include:
- Prof. Orla Hardiman (TCD), the third full Professor of Neuroscience in Ireland with cutting-edge research on ALS
- Prof. Cliona O'Farrelly (TCD), Trinity’s Chair of Comparative Immunology and recipient of the 2014 Nature Award for Mentoring in Science
- Prof. Emmeline Hill (UCD), geneticist and equine scientist who identified the “speed gene” in racehorses;
- Prof. Ronadh Cox, geoscientist and Edward Brust Professor of Geology and Mineralogy,
- Dr. Maria McNamara (UCC), paleobiologist and Senior Lecturer in Geology analyzing the evolution of communication in animals through preserved pigmentation in fossils.
Time: 8th March from 6 - 8 p.m. Venue: UCD's O'Brien Centre for Science, Moore Auditorium.
Find out more here.